Moulds are fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors. No one knows how many species of fungi exist but estimates range from tens of thousands, to perhaps hundreds of thousands or more.
Moulds grow best in warm, damp and humid conditions, so they just love the Queensland climate. Growth speeds up inside houses because an enclosed space increases the chance of mould spores reproducing when they are released into the air.
Aside from causing health issues, such as allergic reactions and asthma episodes, mould growth can also cause structural damage to buildings if the problem remains unaddressed.
Why is mould removal so difficult?
Once mould sets in, it can be virtually impossible to eliminate. Cleaning the area won’t fix the problem, the mould will just continue to grow back. Bleaching also isn’t a solution as it just removes the colour, the mould itself is still there.
This is because mould spores’ genetic material is encased in a tough protein exterior. This armoured shell makes the spores so impervious to extremes of heat and chemicals that spores can survive almost anywhere, even in outer space.
When conditions are not conducive to growing, the spores simply become dormant until conditions are more favourable to growth. Then once conditions are right, such as in damp, dark areas, the spores hatch, and the mould returns.
What are the health risks of mould?
Inhaling or touching small amounts of mould spores probably won’t make you sick. Some moulds, like penicillin, even have antibacterial properties and are used as an antibiotic. But when it comes down to it no mould is 100% safe, especially if you have respiratory issues, allergies or a compromised immune system. That’s why mould removal is so important.
How do you know if mould is affecting your health? Symptoms of mould exposure can include:
- sore throat
- runny nose
- watery eyes and
If you have a history of asthma, you are more at risk of experiencing an asthma attack. While those with impaired immune systems could have a serious infection.
Artemis’ Bio-Solutions Products
As mould removal specialists, Disaster Recovery have been using Artemis’ Bio-Solutions products to solve mould issues.
These products offer a new breakthrough strategy in mould remediation, and have proven to be extremely effective to eliminate mould spore colonies, as well as airborne spores. Artemis’ Bio-Solutions have been developed to denature the spores (mycotoxins) by poking holes in the spore’s protein armour, allowing the oxidizing agents to attack the genetic material inside.
Any place where there’s humidity or moisture, mould can be a serious problem, imposing potentially deadly health risks. Don’t wait until mould starts compromising your property or your health. Contact us today to find out more about our mould removal services or to book an appointment.