Mould Remediation Services
Mould growth in your home or business can present serious health hazards and damage to your property. At Disaster Recovery Qld, our professional mould remediation services safely remove mould contamination and prevent regrowth. We employ proven remediation methods to return your property to a clean, mould-free condition.
What is Mould?
Mould is a type of microscopic fungus that grows in damp, warm environments. While mould spores are present everywhere, excessive moisture allows mould to multiply quickly. Left unchecked, mould infestations can occur inside buildings.
Some common indoor moulds include Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Stachybotrys chartarum. Mould growth often appears fuzzy, slimy, or powdery. Mould can be white, grey, brown, yellow, or even black. A musty odour frequently accompanies a mould problem.
Health Effects of Mould
Exposure to high levels of indoor mould may cause or worsen certain health issues. Sensitive individuals can experience allergic reactions and asthma attacks from mould spores and particles.
Potential health effects include:
- Breathing problems, wheezing, stuffy nose from mould spore inhalation
- Skin irritation or rashes from touching mould
- Eye irritation from airborne mould spores and particles
- Aggravated allergy or asthma symptoms
- Headaches, fatigue from mould-related illness
If you experience persistent health issues inside your home or workplace, mould may be to blame. Professional mould testing and remediation can resolve the problem.
Signs of Mould Growth
Several signs may indicate mould growth inside a building:
- Visible mould spotted on surfaces, walls, wood, paper, or insulation
- Peeling, warped, cracked, or bubbling paint and drywall
- Dark stains on walls, ceilings, wood, and fabrics
- Rotting wood materials and drywall
- Musty odours present in certain areas
- Rooms with higher humidity feel uncomfortable
- Moisture on windows and surfaces from condensation
Don’t ignore these signs. Act quickly to prevent the mould issue from worsening.
Where Does Mould Grow?
Mould needs moisture to proliferate. Some common areas prone to mould growth include:
Drywall soaks up moisture like a sponge. High humidity and unseen pipe leaks within walls often cause extensive mould growth hidden behind drywall.
Carpet and Underlay
Wet carpeting traps moisture and readily grows mould. Mould contamination extends down into the carpet underlay as well.
Air conditioner drip trays, ductwork, coils, and air handlers accumulate moisture. Dust and dirt nourish mould growth on these components.
Attics and Subfloors
Poor insulation and ventilation encourages condensation that allows mould to thrive in attic spaces. Leaks in subfloors create damp areas full of mould.
Basement walls are prone to moisture seepage that leads to mould growth. Stored items also attract mould if dampness occurs.
Tile grout, vinyl surfaces, shower curtains, and drywall absorb bathroom humidity. Ventilation is key to preventing bath mould.
Be aware of areas with chronic dampness. Don’t let mould take hold – call us for professional remediation.
Hidden Mould Growth
Mould problems often go unnoticed until major damage occurs, or health problems develop. Mould growth can be hidden by:
- Drywall, wood panelling, wallpaper, and flooring – Mould grows unseen behind these wall and floor surfaces.
- Tile grout lines – Discolouration is not visible until significant mould contamination exists.
- Insulation – Attic and wall insulation harbour mould but show no outward signs.
- HVAC systems – Mould infests the ductwork, coils, drain trays, and air handlers within the HVAC system.
- Basements and subfloors – Poor accessibility hides mould growing in damp basement and subfloor areas.
- Carpet backing and underlays – Mould extends down into the carpet backing and underlay layers.
- Stored items – Mould gradually ruins boxes, clothing, and other stored belongings.
Don’t be fooled by the lack of visible mould growth. Underlying mould problems still pose a health hazard and gradually damage the structure. Professional mould testing detects hidden mould before severe damage occurs.
Preventing Mould Growth
You can help prevent indoor mould growth by:
- Regularly checking your home for leaks, moisture, and dampness
- Fixing plumbing and roof leaks promptly
- Maintaining low indoor humidity below 50%
- Ensuring bathrooms, laundry, and cooking areas have adequate ventilation
- Cleaning and drying wet spots immediately
- Keeping HVAC drip trays clean and drainage unobstructed
- Replacing water-damaged carpeting, drywall, and other absorbent materials
- Storing items in clean, dry areas off concrete floors
- Regularly cleaning and disinfecting humid areas
Even with diligent moisture control, unexpected leaks, flooding, and moisture-trapping events can still cause mould growth. Contact us at the first sign of mould or moisture problems for professional remediation.
Professional Mould Remediation Process
Disaster Recovery Qld follows proven industry guidelines for safe, effective mould remediation. Our comprehensive mould removal process includes:
We inspect the property and use moisture meters, thermal imaging, and other methods to identify mould-affected areas requiring remediation.
The remediation area is isolated using plastic sheeting barriers and negative air filtration. This protects unaffected areas during the work.
We use special HEPA vacuums, air scrubbers, and manual cleaning techniques to thoroughly remove mould contamination from affected surfaces and materials.
Following mould removal, commercial dehumidification systems are used to dry any damp structural materials to proper moisture levels.
Cleaning and Deodorising
Detail cleaning and deodorisation removes remaining mould particles, spores, and musty odours from remediated areas.
Our technicians verify all visible mould is removed and musty odours are eliminated, ensuring the remediation is complete.
If desired, we arrange for an independent industrial hygienist to conduct mould testing that verifies levels are within normal limits after remediation.
Proper mould remediation removes mould and corrects the underlying moisture problem. We help prevent mould from returning and damaging your property again.
Mould Remediation Cost
Mould remediation costs depend on several key factors:
- Size of affected area – Larger areas require more labour time and materials for remediation.
- Extent of contamination – Surface mould is simpler than buildup inside walls or HVAC systems.
- Materials affected – Porous materials like drywall usually must be replaced increasing costs.
- Access difficulty – Reaching attics, subfloors and high areas adds time and complexity.
- Special equipment needs – Lift equipment, scaffolding or specialty tools add cost.
- Insurance requirements – post-remediation testing and documentation requirements affect costs.
- Type of property – Commercial remediation follows more stringent protocols, increasing costs.
At Disaster Recovery Qld, we provide free, no-obligation estimates for your mould remediation project based on your unique situation. We work to keep your costs reasonable while following all professional guidelines to remove the mould safely and completely.
Home Mould Inspections Just $550
Disaster Recovery Qld offers detailed home mould inspection and testing starting at just $550. Our home mould inspection includes:
- Complete visual inspection of all accessible areas including attics and subfloors
- Moisture meter readings taken throughout to pinpoint moisture intrusion areas
- Identifying areas with mould staining, peeling surfaces, wood rot, and other signs of water damage
- Photographic documentation of affected areas
- Thermal imaging to detect hidden moisture in walls and ceilings
- Inventory of contents showing mould contamination
- Recommended scope of remediation with estimated costs
- Optional mould sampling of air and affected surfaces for lab analysis
Home mould inspections performed by our certified technicians provide valuable information to assess your home’s mould problem and guide remediation. Get professional inspection and testing from Disaster Recovery Qld.
Commercial Mould Inspections
Mould problems in commercial buildings require specialised inspection techniques. Disaster Recovery Qld offers professional mould inspection and testing services for:
- Office buildings
- Retail stores
- Hotels and hospitality
- Multi-family housing
- Healthcare facilities
Our commercial mould inspection covers the entire premises identifying mould hazards. We inspect:
- HVAC systems (coils, ducts, air handlers)
- Wall cavities and pipe chases
- Insulation and ventilation systems
- Basements, attics, and subfloors
- Interior and exterior water damage
- Building envelopes
- Roofing systems
Moisture mapping, humidity readings, borescope inspection, and thermal imaging are used to pinpoint moisture issues. We provide a detailed moisture control plan and scope of remediation work. Post-remediation clearance testing is also available.
Protect your employees, tenants, and the value of your commercial property with a professional mould inspection. Disaster Recovery Qld serves commercial properties throughout Queensland.
Prevent Business Interruption From Mould
For hotels, restaurants, retailers, and other commercial enterprises, business income relies on keeping your doors open. A mould problem can force temporary closure during remediation, resulting in significant revenue loss.
Disaster Recovery Qld works closely with you to minimise business interruption. We understand time is money for commercial property owners. Our rapid response capability and work scheduling at off hours or during low occupancy periods reduces downtime.
Additional services to avoid business income loss include:
- Immediate deployment of multiple work crews and shifts
- Segmenting remediation areas to keep part of the property occupied
- Working section by section or floor by floor
- Coordinating with your contractors and vendors
- Temporarily relocating some operations to unaffected areas
- Providing interim services like receptionist staffing, security, and rerouting deliveries
With proactive planning and response, we can often transition a commercial property to reopened status in days rather than weeks. Don’t lose revenue to a mould problem – call Disaster Recovery Qld today.
Mould Creates Serious Liability Risks
Mould left unchecked poses major liability risks for property owners and managers including:
Tenant Health Complaints
Tenants experiencing mould-related illnesses often take legal action if the problem is neglected.
Employers failing to address workplace mould face claims of health damages.
Construction Defect Claims
Contractors, architects, and builders are sued if hidden mould is attributed to faulty construction.
Failure to disclose known mould conditions leads to lawsuits by unhappy home buyers.
Don’t gamble your assets on avoiding the cost of mould remediation. The potential liability dwarfs remediation expenses. Disaster Recovery Qld offers complete, documented mould remediation that transfers the liability risk away from property owners.
Trusted Mould Remediation Experts
Since 2011, Disaster Recovery Qld has restored thousands of homes and businesses affected by mould contamination. Our certified technicians employ proven industry-accepted processes that have withstood the test of time.
For ethical, competent mould remediation services, trust Disaster Recovery Qld to resolve your mould problem completely. Call today for a free quote!
Phone: 1300 309 361